- This event has passed.
The Hague Summer Institute on Peace Engineering Public Event
23 August, 2019 @ 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Peace Innovation Institute
What if you could make great contributions to society, within governments, developing countries, and crisis situations, but still have the prestige, pay and promising career options that come with a professional engineering degree?
The same way you can get a degree in Aeronautical, Civil or Electrical Engineering, imagine if you could build a career in Peace Engineering.
In 2017, The World Engineering Education Forum, the Global Engineering Deans Council, and the International Federation of Engineering decided this needed to become the new reality. The next year, they hosted the first-ever Peace Engineering Conference, where Drexel University, the University of Colorado-Boulder, the Peace Innovation Lab at Stanford, the University of New Mexico, and SensorComm Technologies, were tasked to form the Peace Engineering Consortium.
Their mission? To apply science and engineering principles, and trans-disciplinary systems-level thinking, to establish rigorous design principles and processes that directly promote and support conditions for peace, while ensuring the safe and ethical deployment of emerging technologies.
During the week of August 19, 2019, the Peace Innovation Institute will convene Consortium members, and a select group of top practitioners and researchers from around the world, for the first Peace Engineering Summer Institute. Hosted by our colleagues from TU Delft and The Hague Humanity Hub, we will lay the foundations of a Peace Engineering degree program that partner universities will be able to offer to their students.
On the morning of Friday August the 23rd, you are invited to attend the final session of the first Peace Engineering Summer Institute. Join us as we present our plan for the future of Peace Engineering, research and education.
Who should attend
- Entrepreneurs who are interested in building for-profit PeaceTech startups
- Corporate executives who are interested in creating positive, high-performance cultures in their organization
- Academics who are interested in the rigorous, systematic research, development, validation, and deployment of PeaceTech systems, and of their effect on society.
- NGOs who are looking for high leverage positive impact on previously intractable social challenges
- Government mayors and ministers who care about ways to measurably strengthen social fabric in their community, constituency, or society, while also strengthening positive relations with their neighbors.
- ESG and Social Impact Investors who are seeking emerging high value technology green fields that also have high positive social impact.
- Students who are interested in a Peace Engineering career.
Why you should come
With this first annual Summer Institute, Peace Engineering is poised to take off globally, and The Hague is going to be at the epicenter. If you’re interested in a Peace Engineering career, as a practitioner or researcher, or if your organization is interested in creating positive social impact, this open session is where you need to be.
Seating for the open session this year is limited, and by RSVP only, so please respond quickly.