The Hague, Netherlands
CLOSING DATE: 15 August 2020
The International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a highly valued component in the humanitarian safety coordination system. With operations in 14 countries, INSO has revolutionized the humanitarian safety coordination sector by introducing a robust and high-quality field safety platform model that has been deployed in some of the world’s most high-risk settings.
The strong focus on humanitarian principles and exclusive NGO-only membership criteria have meant that INSO is now accepted as a standard component of modern humanitarian response offering independent frontline reporting and coordination services that save lives, strengthen operational practice and enable humanitarian access.
Today the organisation provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs in 14 of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO is seeking an experienced and talented individual to join our team in The Hague (Netherlands) as a Full-Stack Developer. The tentative start date for this position is 1st October 2020. However, due to travel restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the starting date may be delayed.
The Developer will be responsible for providing substantial assistance in the design, implementation and maintenance of INSO’s Conflict & Humanitarian Data Centre. The system will be used in contexts where internet bandwidth is very limited or non-existent. User roles will be defined with different permissions that require interaction with each other across multiple countries. He/She will help develop the data entry and incident analysis phases of the application with the guidance of the Senior Developer. Furthermore, He/She will provide substantial programming assistance in further development and troubleshooting of INSO’s partner and service distribution portal as well as the creation of a new organizational website
INSO’s Development Stack:
- Angular 8+ with Typescript
- Electron Framework (client app) and Service/Web Workers (offline web app)
- Visualization development using D3 library and JQuery
- Data storage and synchronization using Indexed DB and PouchDB
- Google Maps, OpenStreetMap, and PowerBI integration
- HTML5 with SCSS preprocessor
- OpenID Implicit Flow authentication
- i18n localization English/French
- Testing using Jasmine/Karma
- DevOps using Webpack and Docker containers
- Node.js with Express.js framework
- Session caching using Redis
- OAuth and JWT authentication with Azure AD
- Java Spring (boot) with Maven using Apache Tomcat
- Clustering with multiple Apache CouchDB NoSQL nodes
- NRT Indexing with Apache Solr 8+ using Zookeeper
- Docker orchestration using Kubernetes
- MS SQL Server replication for 3rd party connections
- PHP with Codeigniter using Nginx
- Azure MySQL Server
- Communication with Twilio, SendGrid and BulkSMS
- Azure Serverless Functions with Queue processing
- Maintenance and scheduled tasks using cron and Bash
Applicants should have experience in the following:
- Strong understanding of data modeling and storage with both NoSQL and relational DBs
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- Knowledge of modern web and client development with distributed system architectures
- Familiarity with Azure and Active Directory, VM server management, DNS, and SSL techniques
- UI/UX design and organization
- Experience in “big data” processing and analysis with dynamic visualizations
- Paramount attention to detail in application and data security
- Solid understanding of performance testing, deployment strategies, and DevOps
- The ability to learn quickly and use innovative technologies
- Be a conscientious team worker who meets commitments and deadlines and takes pride in being reliable within a multi-cultural team across different time zones
- Outstanding communication skills in English
- Communication skills in French
- Knowledge of Python
- Prior humanitarian or NGO experience
- Contributed to relevant open source projects or impressive portfolio
- Prior work in computer graphics with SVG web technologies
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy:
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
- All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references.
- INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address.
- All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified.
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card).
- All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.).
- All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
Terms & Conditions: 1 year contract with an expected start date on 1 October in the Hague, Netherlands, €4750 per month salary, 8% vacation pay and 2.5 days annual leave per month.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are requested to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “INSO Developer 2020” in the subject line of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Updated CV (5 page maximum).
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and interest in the position.
- Any relevant software project samples as links or documents (optional)
Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 8MB if possible.